Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Affiliate Maketing Tips

1) Choose a product that looks good. This is a skill in and of itself. Generally you want something with a decent gravity, but not so high that the competition is fierce. I would say look in the 30-100 gravity range, but others may differ.

2) Do some keyword research on that product. Google's keyword tool is good for this and it's free (https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal), but I find the MicroNiche finder to be well worth the expense (it was the first purchase I made once I got my first paycheck, and I wish I had got it sooner). In general I look for keyword phrases with low competition and a monthly exact search number of 1500 or higher, preferably around 3000 (or more). (To help figure out what your competition is, do a google search of the keyword phrase in quotes. This will give you a sense of how many pages are targeting that exact keyword phrase. Stick below 10,000 if possible. Also do a google search for the phrase without quotes and look at the results on the first page, especially the top three slots. If they don't have a PageRanks over three or lots of backlinks, then it is good to go. With MicroNiche, look for a website with a SOC - Strength of Competition- below 20, less than 10 is ideal!).

3) Decide whether you are going to create a landing page for the product or if you are simply going to redirect an url. It is probably best to do both, since if you are going to pursue article marketing many of the ezines don't allow you to link directly to an affiliate page, so you will need a landing page instead. For cheap redirects you can use an .info domain which only costs a buck or so the first year. You can create your own landing page either on a free site (Squidoo is good for this, as is blogspot), or use your own domain.

4) Start writing articles on the product using your low competition keywords you found earlier. Ezine articles is probably the most popular, but they are getting more strict about what kind of content and links they accept, and they also can take a week or longer to approve if your don't have premium status. But there are literally dozens of worthwhile places to submit articles to: ArticleBase, Buzzle, SearchWarp, GoArticles, and ArticleDashboard are some of my favorites. Your main goal with these articles (as an affiliate marketer) is to get the reader to click on your links in the resource box, and there are different strategies people pursue to do this (mine is to try to write a quality article that gets people interested enough to visit my landing page to learn more, and then convince them they need to visit the clickbank seller's page to purchase the product).

For each product I promote, I try to write 50 articles initially (takes me about a week, usually). I write all my articles myself, and I usually target between 5-10 keyword phrases with these articles. Initial sales usually come from the articles, but I link each article back to my landing page website using the keywords as anchor text in my resource boxes (for those article directories that allow dofollow links), and my long term goal is to get direct traffic from Google searches so I won't have to continually spit out articles every day and visitors will arrive organically at my site. This can take a couple of months or longer, however, so for short term gain, article marketing is the fastest way to make some money.

I don't use adwords, so I can't advise you on this, but I'm sure others can.

No comments:

Post a Comment